If you are someone who visits your dentist twice a year, brushes twice a day and flosses daily, you might not think you need to make a trip to the dentist unless it’s for your dental checkup. Even if you are disciplined when it comes to your oral health care, but especially if you aren’t, it’s important to know the signs telling you that it’s time to make a dental appointment.
- Changes in your gums: If you notice that your gums aren’t looking or feeling like they normally do, you should make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible. Some dangerous gum changes are:
- changing color to red or bluish-red
- bleeding gums
- swollen gums
- receding gums
- Teeth pain: Any kind of teeth pain that is affecting your quality of life should be treated as soon as possible. Your teeth usually don’t start hurting until your tooth problem is severe. Even if your teeth pain passes, the problem is still there, so you should make an appointment to visit your dentist.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods: If you take a bite of ice cream and then feel shooting pain in your mouth or slurp some soup and want to yelp, you should contact your dentist. Sensitivity to temperature means that your tooth decay is spreading to the root of your tooth, so you should get it treated before it becomes even worse.
- Dry mouth: Your saliva is your body’s natural antibacterial agent that protects your teeth from decay and gum disease. But if you are getting older, or using certain medication, you can develop dry mouth. It’s important to get it treated to prevent cavities or periodontitis.
We are here for you to treat any of your oral health needs. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, or are in need of your dental check-up, contact the Lakeway Center for Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today and set-up your appointment.Related posts