Has it been a little too long since you’ve seen your dentist? Maybe you missed your last one or two (or six) biannual dental exams and the thought of going back now seems embarrassing. You’re not the only one, but that doesn’t mean that you can let your oral health slide.
If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms, your mouth is telling you that you need to see the dentist:
- Tooth pain — Most people know to visit the dentist when their teeth hurt, but this symptom could be a sign of an infected cavity
- Bleeding gums — A sign of periodontal disease
- Inflamed, swollen or discolored gums — A sign that your gums may be infected
- Morning headaches, especially those accompanied by neck stiffness — These could be caused by clenching or grinding your teeth
- White patches on your tongue — A sign of possible oral cancer
- Chronic bad breath — Can indicate gum disease
- Canker sores that won’t heal — Don’t let yourself suffer from a canker sore any longer
- Dry mouth — In addition to being uncomfortable, dry mouth can accelerate tooth decay and gum disease
If it’s been more than six months since your last checkup, it’s time to visit the dentist. At the Lakeway Center for Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we make it a rule to never lecture our patients who have been away for too long. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment. We’d love to see you.