We have always been told that brushing and flossing our teeth twice a day is the key to a white smile, but the food we eat can have a direct impact on the health of our teeth.
Foods that are not healthy for your teeth include:
- Citrus fruits – although these are good for you in many ways, they’re not ideal when it comes to your teeth. The acidity of these citrus fruits can erode your tooth enamel over time.
- Chewy candy – extra-chewy candies stick to and in between teeth for long periods of time, which allows bacteria to accumulate.
- Hard candy – hard candy dissolves slowly giving bacteria more time to produce harmful acids.
- Soda – the acids found in soda are more harmful to teeth than sugar. Even diet drinks can erode tooth enamel if consumed in large amounts.
- Coffee – coffee can stain your teeth over time. Teeth with coffee stains tend to be sticky and attract more food particles as well as bacteria.
Foods that will help keep your teeth healthy include:
- Sugar-free gum – sugar-free gum helps keep teeth clean by stimulating the production of saliva, which helps wash away acids produced by bacteria.
- Water- water helps wash away bacteria on teeth. It also contains fluoride which helps against tooth erosion.
- Dairy – dairy products are a good source of calcium which help keep teeth strong.
- High-fiber foods – eating a bowl of leafy greens helps produce saliva which washes away bacteria while the food itself physically scrubs your teeth.
- Strawberries – strawberries contain malic acid which is a natural enamel whitener.
Overall, your diet has a huge impact on the health of your smile. Make sure you’re doing all you can to keep a healthy smile by setting up an appointment at Lakeway Center for Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today.