If you’ve lost a tooth there are many different cosmetic options for replacement available to you. Dental implants are designed to replace the root of a tooth. A dental implant is usually topped with a crown, or a fake tooth. There are many reasons that dental implants are often thought of as the best option when it comes to tooth replacement, like:
- A dental implant connects directly with the jaw bone. This means it is the most accurate replication of the tooth, root, bone connection.
- Dental implants are usually composed of titanium which is able to biochemically join to bone. Again, quite a strong connection!
- Many people suffer bone loss after losing a tooth, but dental implants are able to prevent this from happening by binding with the bone.
- Because dental implants are designed to fuse with your bone they are completely permanent.
- Dentures are often a rival option when considering a dental implant. However, because of their nature dentures require a lot more care and adjustment. You’ll never have to remove and clean your dental implant!
In addition to the more specific benefits offered by dental implants, there are also the benefits that any sort of tooth replacement brings. These are important to establishing a healthy self-image and feeling comfortable and confident in your smile. These include:
- Appearance. It’s hard to feel completely comfortable smiling wide when you know that you’re missing a tooth! Dental implants look very natural, and help deal with the self-esteem issues that come with losing a tooth.
- Speech. Many people when missing one or more teeth have a hard time speaking clearly and enunciating words. This can cause them to hesitate before speaking or feel embarrassed when they do. However, with a dental implant it is usually much easier to speak clearly, and comfortably.
- Eating. Other tooth replacement options like dentures can make eating difficult and sometimes embarrassing. Dental implants do not slide or move within the mouth and there is little difference between eating with them and eating with your normal teeth.
- Health. Many other tooth replacement options require that you have your other, undamaged teeth altered. For instance, with a bridge it’s necessary that you reduce the surrounding teeth. This will lead to poorer oral health over time.
Dental implants are usually very successful. It’s necessary that you have healthy gums and bone to help support the implant (just another reason to take good care of your teeth!). Unfortunately replacing a tooth with a dental implant is not an in and out procedure. It takes time for the implant to fuse with the bone, something your dentist will monitor. There are often many different steps to successfully completing a dental implant procedure. The process usually takes a few months. However, once completed you have a strong and durable tooth for life!
Don’t put off tooth replacement. The longer you do the higher your risk is for suffering damaging bone loss. Instead get in and speak to a dentist today! Call Dr. D’Alfonso of Lakeway Cosmetic Dentistry today and schedule a consultation.