When you walk down the oral care aisle, you might feel overwhelmed by the toothbrush options and wonder if you should choose a manual toothbrush or an electric one? Don’t worry, there isn’t really a right or a wrong choice, since both manual and electric toothbrushes have excellent benefits:
Manual Toothbrush Benefits:
- Easy to travel with: Electric toothbrushes are more bulky, so it’s easier to throw your manual toothbrush in your travel bag, so you can keep up your oral care while traveling.
- Cost-effective: Manual toothbrushes are inexpensive and easy to find, and dentists even give them away.
- Put less pressure on teeth and gums: You can feel how much pressure you are putting on your teeth and gums with a manual toothbrush, so you’re less likely to bear down and cause damage to your teeth enamel.
Electric Toothbrush Benefits:
- Perfect for those with less mobile dexterity: If you have trouble using your shoulders, arms or hands, electric toothbrushes are easier to use and will help you clean your teeth more effectively.
- More effective at removing plaque and preventing gum disease: Research shows that electric toothbrushes that rotate in one direction and then switch and rotate in another direction can be more effective than those that spin in only one direction or manual toothbrushes.
- Handy timers and sensors: For those who have trouble brushing long enough or brushing too hard, some electric toothbrushes have timers that will tell you if you have brushed enough, or sensors that alert you if you’re brushing too hard.
Whether you have a manual or an electric toothbrush, it’s important to use it twice a day and floss daily to prevent cavities, gum disease and high dental bills. If you would like to learn more about oral care or to set-up an appointment, contact the Lakeway Center for Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today.