You want your child to have good oral hygiene, but after looking at the rows and rows of toothpaste, it is difficult to know which one is best. Here are five tips to help you determine which toothpaste will protect your child’s health and teeth:
- Once your baby starts teething, start brushing: As your child’s teeth start to erupt, it’s important to start brushing them with a soft bristled toothbrush without toothpaste. But once your children are around 18 months to two years old, they can start using toothpaste.
- If they can’t spit it out, use fluoride-free: Since most toddlers can’t spit out their toothpaste yet, it’s important to buy toothpaste specially designed for them. Many toothpastes have fluoride, which is great for fighting cavities, but it can be harmful if ingested. Try to use a toothpaste for your toddler that is fluoride-free until he or she can spit it out.
- Avoid SLS and abrasives: Sodium lauryl sulfate is found in most toothpaste. But sometimes it can cause mouth ulcers in small children, so try to avoid toothpaste with SLS. Abrasives are also found in toothpaste, which clean off hard plaque and teeth stains. But these can also be harmful for children, so try to use toothpaste that contains only mild abrasives.
- Try out different flavors: You may assume that your children would love bubble-gum flavored toothpaste, but some flavors might be too strong for them. Test out different flavors until you find one they love and stick with it.
- Use natural toothpastes: Through using natural toothpaste, you don’t have to worry about ingredients that might harm your child. Tom’s of Maine provides effective, natural children’s toothpaste. Tom’s fluoride-free children’s toothpaste contains no artificial ingredients and is even flavored with natural fruit juice. Another great natural toothpaste is Weleda’s toothpaste, which is perfect for children with sensitive gums.
If you would like to make an appointment for your child’s next dental check-up, contact the Lakeway Center for Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today and set-up your appointment.